Immunity is the most powerful thing which is essential for a healthy lifestyle, so always choose the best fruit for the immune system. Nowadays, viruses are so strong also antibiotic resistance; only, immunity can fight for us, so the best fruit for immune system is essential.
Various types of fruits and vegetables are present, those increasing our body’s immunity. These are readily available in the market or our house. If we maintain food habits and staying healthy, you can overcome infections.
During pregnancy or if you have some serious medical problem always consult with your doctor before taking any fruit.
Here are 13 best fruits that boost your immune system against any viruses.
For proper identification, we are sharing a scientific name with other’s words, which helps you a lot.
List of the best fruit for immune system:
Papaya is one of the best fruit for immunity booster because it has a high rich of antioxidants like carotenoids, which reduce oxidative stress and counterbalance free radicals.
Scientific Name: Carica papaya.
Other names: Papaya, Papaw, Pawpaw, Papita.
- Powerful proteolytic enzymes.
- In 100 gm of Papaya contais 43 Kcal energy.
- Papaya also contains vitamin C (75%) with other vitamins like Vitamin- K, E A, Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, folate, etc.
- Carbohydrates around 10.82 gm
- Fat 0.26 gm and protein 0.47 gm.
- Minerals like calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, sodium, lycopene.
Help in Immunity:
- Papaya contains the most powerful vitamin, namely vitamin C. The amount of vitamin C that our body needs every day is almost double the amount of vitamin C in papaya.
- Vitamin C is essential for immunity power. If you are low in vitamin C, your immune system is also low. You suffer from illness most of the time.
- Our body can’t produce vitamin c or store vitamin c in our body. Papaya contains a digestive enzyme called Papain. It also supports anti-inflammatory disease.
- Papain is a most potent proteolytic enzyme which helps to break down the protein into smaller protein pieces called peptides and also amino acids.
- Papain helps to digest the food and also suitable for wound healing.
- They also contain potassium, vitamin B, folate. These are good for our health, that’s why papaya is the best fruit for immune system.
Almonds have a rich source of vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant that’s why it’s the best-dried fruits that boost your immune system.
Scientific Name: Prunus dulcis
- Amino acids
- 40-55% of the fixed oil
Nutritional value / 100gm:
- The energy in 100 gm of Almond is 579 Kcal
- Contain vitamin-K, E, C.
- Protein 21.2 gm, carbohydrates 21.6 gm and fat 499 gm.
- Contains many minerals such as calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, selenium, copper, phosphorus, potassium, etc.
Help in immunity:
- Almonds are good for increasing health immunity. It contains vitamin E & vitamin C, also a natural antioxidant. These help to fight against germs.
- Increase your chances of cholesterol-lowering with phytosterols. It’s good for a healthy heart.
- Fixed oils and fats are trustworthy sources of energy, helping to grow and develop, providing the system with essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins, boosting immunity, and improving food well-being. That’s why almonds are one of the best fruits that help immune system and fight against viruses.
Adults need 15 mg of vitamin E each day.
Kiwi is a pack of vitamin C, and we all know vitamin C is perfect for immunity. Blood clotting is a major problem, but kiwi actually reduces it.
Not only that, but it also maintains our blood pressure. So, if you are looking for the best fruit for immune system, then kiwi is one of them.
Scientific Name: Actinidia deliciosa.
Other Names: Hayward, Blake, Saanichton, etc.
- In 100 gm of Kiwi fruit contain energy 63 kcal.
- Vitamin- K, C E, A, Vit- B complexes.
- Contained carbohydrates 15.8gm,
- Having protein 1.02g and fat 0.28gm.
- Minerals like selenium, zinc, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, etc.
Help to immunity:
- A kiwi contains folate, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin C. These helps to boost white blood cells, which is generally fighting against germs in our bodies.
4. Acai Berry:
Acai berry also good fruits that boost your immune system because it has rich sources of antioxidants and fiber and contains healthy fats.
Scientific Name: Euterpe oleracea.
- In 100 gm of acai berry contain 70 kcal energy.
- Fiber: 2gm
- Vit-A (15%)
- Calcium (2%)
Help to immunity:
- This fruit is derived from the date palm, which is black-purple. This fruit contains a flavonoids molecule (Anthocyanins).
- Anthocyanins are a potent antioxidant. It helps to lower inflammation in the body.
- These are mainly using in the treatment of cardiovascular disease, cancer, constipation.
Acai berry should take 200-1500mg/day.
Remember, acai berries are spoiled within a day of picking because it contains a high amount of fat.
This indicates it’s impossible to transship acai berries to the United States (and different countries) because they go bad before they reach our fruit market.
If you are looking for the tastiest and juicy fruits to increase immunity, then watermelon is perfect for you.
Scientific Name: Citrullus lanatus.
- 100gm of watermelon contains 30 kcal energy.
- Carbohydrate:7.55gm, protein: 1gm.
- Vitamin- A 28µg, also have other vitamins like B complexes
- Choline: 4.1mg
- Vitamin C 8.1 mg
- Minerals high amount of calcium, magnesium, lycopene, potassium, etc.
Help to immunity:
- It’s also an immune-boosting fruit which contains potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C. Also present vitamin B6 and glutathione. These are important for proper immune function.
- Choline also a powerful nutrient for our brain’s health and too good for the nervous system.
2 gm/day and a few balls of watermelon around 154 gm can reduce LDL (Low-Density Lipid).
Apple has a good source of fiber like pectin, and it helps to increase our immunity, not only that pectin also fight with the obesity-related disease.
Scientific name: Malus domestica.
- 52 kcal energy present in 100gm of apple.
- contain vitamins A,B,B2,C. This vitamin is important for a healthy body and proper functioning.
- Apple also contains pectin; it’s a type of fiber that boosts gut bacteria.
- It helps to increase healing cells; those are helping to faster recovery from infection.
Some studies said apple seeds are poisonous, so stay away from seeds.
7. Citrus fruits:
Orange is the best fruit for immunity booster; a single medium orange contains all the vitamin C you necessitate in a day.
Scientific name: Citrus SPS.
Help to immunity:
- In citrus fruit contain vitamin C, which helps produce WBC. WBC, which fights against germs. Example orange, lemon.
Any kind of citrus fruit is perfect for your health.
Though oranges are low in calories when you take excessive amounts, it may affect digestion, or sometimes weight gain may occur. If you limit its dose and take regularly, it is one of the best fruit for immune system.
Do you know, amla is a powerhouse of antioxidants and vitamin C.
Amla juice is best for cold and cough. It one of the best fruit for immunity booster because of its astringent and antibacterial characteristics.
Scientific Name: Phyllanthus Emblica.
Help to boost immunity:
- Amla has more than 100 effects, which helps our body. It contains vitamin c.
- It mainly supports the production of more blood cells.
If you 1-2 amla eat per day its boosts your immunity as well as maintains skin problems.
Walnuts also best fruit for immune system because it has a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and copper. We all know copper is good for immunity and the nervous system.
It also helps to maintain blood glucose levels and helps to control type 2 diabetes.
Walnuts also contain vitamin E, which is a good antioxidant and perfect for a healthy lifestyle. That’s why it’s the best fruits that boost your immune system naturally.
Banana has a rich source of magnesium and potassium that’s why it’s the best fruit for immune system because it helps to reduce stroke.
Banana also contains vitamin B6, which helps the nervous system’s proper functioning and helps to metabolize protein. For this reason, banana also fruits that help immune system and give adequate immunity.
These are not fruits but good for the immune system:
I know these are not fruits, but believe me, these are best for immunity. You can easily add your lifestyle.
1. Green Tea:
Green tea contains catechins, and it’s one type of polyphenols.
One study said catechins help to destroy the influenza virus. But remember not to add milk because this protein binds to polyphenols and decrease the effects of catechins.
Scientific name: Camellia sinensis
- Green tea contains flavonoids.
- Amino Acid is called L-theanine.
- Green tea contains antioxidants, alkaloids,
- Vitamins like D, C, B
- Minerals like zinc, manganese, chromium
- Green tea contains flavonoids, which is an excellent antioxidant. The name of the antioxidant is EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate). Its support in our immune system means to enhance our immune system.
- The amino present called L- theanine is a good fighter against germs.
- Black tea is not good for our immune system, because, In the fermentation process, the current antioxidant is destroyed. But in green tea, this antioxidant is present.
2. Aloe Vera:
Scientific Name: Aloe barbadensis
- C-glucosyl Chromone
Nutritional Values/100gm :
- Contain vitamin B12, Folic acid.
- Vitamins like A, C, E.
- Lignin, saponins, amino acids, etc.
- Aloe vera is a natural analgesic. It also has an anti-inflammatory effect and antiseptic effect.
- Here C-glucosyl chromone present, which decreases arachidonic acid secretion.
- Chemical constituents are present those are Aloin, Barbaloin, Aloemodin. These ingredients help to fight against germs.
- It gives a laxative effect because of vitamin B12 and folic acid.
- Here present antioxidant polysaccharides, which helps to boost our immune system.
NOT TO DO:
Not for pregnant women. Not for lactating mother(breastfeeding).
3. Curd and Yogurt :
- In curd present vitamin D. Most of the vitamin D, we get from curd.
- It helps to enhance our immune system, but you have to avoid sugar with curd.
- Curd and yogurt are different; they are dairy products, but they are not the same, curd made of curdling milk acetic acid like lemon juice, even curd itself.
- Yogurt is made by fermentation process help of Lactobacillus bulgaricus and streptococcus thermophiles. Both help to increase the immunity system.
Daily 3 cups of dairy products can enhance our body stamina.
We think these are the answers to your queries that best fresh fruits that help immune system. Is not it?
Our view on fruits to increase immunity :
Immunity can change your life, so don’t compromise with that. In this article, we are sharing the knowledge about the best fruit for immune system but not only fruits there some foods that are also helping to boost your immunity.
Related article: Boosting immunity with food.
You must add to zinc-containing foods; these foods are perfect for a healthy lifestyle and suitable for immunity.
Related article: What food is high in zinc.
If you are a pregnant woman and looking for fruits to increase immunity, then our best suggestions before taking any fruit, please consult with your doctor because some foods are not right during pregnancy.
Related article: Foods to avoid during early pregnancy.
So, not one fruit can maintain your immunity. You have to try a combination of fruit regularly.
I believe this helps you.
That’s all for today.
If you find any relevant information related to your search that the best fruit for immune system, then please share this newsletter on your social media platform and help others.
Written By: Saikat Bera ( Asst. Prof. Of Pharmacology)